Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Leslie Saeta's 30 Day Painting Challenge: SamDoum's Day 3

It's Day 3 of Leslie Saeta's 30 paintings in 30 days challenge, and I have my new third painting for you today!

Now, as discussed in my last blog post, I promised I'd tell you a little more about where I draw my inspiration from when I draw these kaleidoscope paintings.

Perhaps the greatest inspirational source that I draw from is Islamic art and architecture. As some may know Islam law (for some) forbids animal and human imagery. Thus a lot of Islamic architects, artists, and designers rely heavily on shapes, lines, colors, and geometric forms.

I've been very fortunate to study art history (inclusive of Islamic art history) in both high school as well as in college. My professors would present images on a slide projector, images taken by camera from all places around the globe. And as to where Islamic art is concerned: well, I fell in love with it. The works of Islamic artists are so detailed, elaborate, intricate, ornate, and elegant. Islamic art is beautiful, meticulous, and particular.
Just look at some of these designs below:

Interior of a mosque in Erdine Turkey
Mirab with mosaic tile from Iran
Like Islamic artists and designers, I rely heavily with geometric forms and shapes when I draw my Kaleidoscope paintings. But there are other sources that I draw from as well when I do my kaleidoscope paintings. In my next blog post, I'll mention another source of my inspiration  for my Kaleidoscope Paintings. For now, please enjoy Day 3's painting for the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Painting Challenge! Enjoy and 'til later fellow art lovers!
-SamDoum

Kaleidoscope #3: 30 Day Painting Challenge: Day3
$50.00 , 6"x6", Ink on Illustration Board


Did you Know? . . .
Day 3: Kaleidoscope Fact #3: Kaleidoscopes function based upon multiple reflection of usually 3 mirrors placed side by side at an angle of 60 degrees each.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey. Thanks for commenting! We really appreciate it!

Sincerely,
The folks at SamDoumArt.com